- High Jump Approach Importance, About 90%.
- High Jump Approach Importance Is Comparable To The Slingshot.
- Furthermore, here is a list comparing high jump and slingshot elements.
- High Jump Approach Importance Includes Projectile Directory Factors.
- High Jump Approach Importance Is Sensitive.
- Successful Elements Of The High Jump Approach.
- The Elements.
High Jump Approach Importance, About 90%.
The high jump approach importance is almost everything. When you get the approach run right, 90% of the high jump work is complete. While your hips clear the crossbar, know the effort came from the approach. Furthermore, immediately upon feeling the high jump pit hit the back of your neck, notice the effort came from the approach. Finally, after you leap into the air in celebration, appreciate the effort came from the approach!Embed from Getty Images
High Jump Approach Importance Is Comparable To The Slingshot.
Using a slingshot and understanding where its energy comes from is a good comparison to the high jump approach. Similar to high jumping, the slingshot energy happens before the projectile is launched.Embed from Getty Images
Like the slingshot, high jumpers perform a series of techniques prior to getting the desired result. I mean, seeing, planning, loading, and releasing all happen before the result. The result is the “shot” or the “jump”.Embed from Getty Images
Furthermore, here is a list comparing high jump and slingshot elements.
- The slingshot shooter sees the target. Additionally, the high jumper sees the crossbar.
- The slingshot shooter pulls the band back to create energy. Moreover, the high jumper approaches takeoff with speed to create energy.
- The slingshot shooter uses the arms to angle the energy release to hit the target. Also, the high jumper takes so many steps and angles the body for the takeoff spot.
- The slingshot shooter lets go to release the energy. Likewise, the high jumper blocks hard to release the energy.
- The slingshot shooter hits the target. The high jumper clears the crossbar too.
High Jump Approach Importance Includes Projectile Directory Factors.
Namely, with missiles and bullets, a projectile is “a body projected or impelled forward, as through the air”. By the same token, projectile directory factors are physical properties that affect the flight, path, or direction of the projectile. According to physics; gravity, air resistance, the speed of release, the angle of release, the height of release, and spin are the projectile directory factors.Embed from Getty Images
Here are the projectile directory factors and their relationship to the high jump approach elements.
- Gravity. gravity isn’t changed by anything other than more mass.
- Air Resistance is affected by approach speed, getting a rhythm, using great wheels.
- The speed of Release is influenced by approach speed, getting a rhythm, using great wheels.
- The angle of Release is transformed
byapproach speed, getting a rhythm, using great wheels, running tall, penultimate step, ultimate step, foot plant, leaning back, body position at foot plant.
- The height of Release is related to the approach speed, getting a rhythm, using great wheels, running tall, penultimate step, ultimate step, foot plant, leaning back, body position at foot plant, leaning into the curve, dorsiflex, blocking, spin, starting the curve, leaning into the curve.
High Jump Approach Importance Is Sensitive.
Because there are many factors, the high jump approach is sensitive. In fact, if any of the projectile directory factors are lacking, the desired result will miss. Moreover, the slingshot shooter will miss the target. Equally, the high jumper will miss the height attempt.Embed from Getty Images
For example, failure to perform the factors might look like this. Imagine the slingshot shooter aiming at the ground and expecting to hit the target? Or if the shooter barely pulls the band back to hit a far-away target? They’ll miss badly.Embed from Getty Images
Similarly, high jumpers running slowly, not leaning through the curve, not blocking, or running an improper “J” will miss badly too.Embed from Getty Images
Successful Elements Of The High Jump Approach.
Embed from Getty Images
A high jumper performing correct projectile directory factors related to his or her jump means success. In fact, I want to call the correct factors “successful elements of the high jump approach”. With this in mind, here is what the successful elements of the high jump approach look like.
- Mental Preparation
- Getting rhythm
- Starting the Straightaway
- Approach Speed
- running tall
- Using great wheels
- Starting the Curve
- Leaning into the Curve
- penultimate step
- Foot Plant Angle
- Body Position at Foot plant
- Foot Plant Position
- Leaning Back
In other words, when you master the elements, your odds of clearing the crossbar increase by 90%!Embed from Getty Images
Finally, email me a video of you high jumping and I will provide the following information:
- High jump approach analysis
- Running form analysis
- Penultimate step analysis
- J Approach analysis
- Takeoff analysis
- Flight analysis
- Top three opportunities for improvement
- Top three strengths
- High jump drill recommendations for you to eliminate your opportunities